Wednesday, March 29, 2017

To Read or to Listen?

Last fall I decided to start listening to audio books while I sorted laundry, then it turned into listening while cooking or tidying up. I use a service provided by libraries to listen to the books on my tablet so I can take it around the house as needed. This has been a great way to absorb more books.

Last time I was choosing an audio book I realized there were some I didn't want to listen to.There are some I wanted to read. It was a strange realization and something I've taken time to ponder.


Audio books are the fastest growing book format as people try to cram more into their lives. It's convenient to have books to listen to while driving, working out, or doing tasks. When I listen to audio books, though I enjoy the story, I don't become as fully immersed in it since I'm buzzing around, doing whatever task while listening.

There's still something to be said for taking time out to read. We lead busy lives and sitting down to read is a treat, giving yourself time to focus on one thing, to relax, to let your mind wander and explore another life (if you're reading fiction).

I'm not putting down audio books, and I will continue to listen to them. I've just found the experiences between the two formats--audio and physical--more different than I thought.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the differences between listening to and reading books.

No comments:

Post a Comment