Saturday, December 31, 2016

Ready For The New Year

Last year I said the same thing. I'm ready to move on to the new year. After a rough 2015, I'd claimed 2016 as my year...it didn't quite work out that way. This past year wasn't horrible for me and was an improvement on 2015 (even though I didn't get to see Chris Cornell in concert again) but still wasn't what I'd hoped.

My 2016 started with closing the retail business I'd spent three and a half years building. It was a personal low and I'm still very bitter. Unfortunately, many factors were working against me and it was necessary. Thankfully, Cori Vidae jumped in and saved the day. She was starting up a micropress and needed help. When she offered to bring me on as a publicist, I jumped on it. In February, Pen and Kink Publishing came to be. It's been fun working with Cori and the authors to put new books into the world and I'm looking forward to continuing that next year.

I had about five months at home after closing my business, working on P&K stuff and my own writing while I kept my eye out for jobs and worked with my mom on an online retail store (still in the works). When a job opened at the local library, I jumped on it and was lucky enough to get hired! I started at the end of June, one week before my girls finished school for the summer. I'd had grand plans of a summer off to spend with them, but when a job comes up, especially where I live, you need to take it.

As for my writing this past year...it was a lot of stop and start with my manuscript. I started querying again in January, fresh from working with editor Kate Angelella. Querying went on hold when the manuscript got accepted into two writing contests, Pitch Wars and FicFest. I met some great people through these contests that I hope to work with in the future as beta readers and critique partners. I can't wait to continue querying my manuscript in the new year. I also wrote a new manuscript, which is still in first draft because I keep getting pulled back into edits for the other one...not that that's a bad thing.

Other highlights from the year include going to see Rob Zombie in concert and visiting my in-laws in Hilton Head, South Carolina (the furthest south I've ever been).

I'm looking forward to 2017 because people I know have books coming out, including my friend and critique partner! There's also the promise of a few new albums next year from artists I like, which also means tours and the possibility of seeing them live. For my writing, I hope to continue to grow and learn, to meet more awesome contacts, and hit some more of my goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment