Monday, November 9, 2015

Inspriation Is Everywhere, Though Not Always Easy To Find

I love the look some people give me when I tell them about the stories I write. When they stare blankly, it makes me smile. I have a tendency to write strange and dark things. The novel manuscripts I've written so far have been paranormal and urban fantasy. When I tell people about them, many asked how I come up with the ideas. I think this goes for most writers.

My ideas can come from anywhere. Sometimes they pop into my head, but usually they are prompted by something.

For my latest urban fantasy manuscript, the idea came from the title of another book called, Bringing Back The Recently Deceased. I thought it sounded cool and was disappointed to find out that it was a non-fiction book. So I wrote the book I thought it could have been.

There have been lines in books that spark ideas that have nothing to do with the book I'm reading. A few times a song has inspired a story. When I listened to Godsmack's "Turning To Stone", an image popped into my head that I'm working on turning into a short story.

Inspiration can come from anywhere if you're open to it. There have been real situations or people I know that have prompted story ideas. Sometimes something I see in a TV show launches an idea that is unrelated to the show.

I knew I wanted to write a sequel to my current urban fantasy manuscript but wasn't sure what the story would be. I have a plots that will run through the whole series but I needed a plot for this book. To get ideas I started looking through mythology and monster books and websites. Sure enough, something struck me.

Ideas often take a little--okay a lot of--toying with to work. There are times the idea doesn't go anywhere so I tuck it away. Maybe someday it will develop into a story...or not. That's why it's a good idea to keep a pen and notebook handy. You never know when an idea will come to you.

It's not always easy to find inspiration, but it is there. Writer's block happens and it sucks. I'm starting to ponder what I want to write next. I have some ideas but nothing that's sticking. I hope when I take time to look around something will jump up and say "Write me!".

Where do you find your inspiration or story ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment