Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Writing vs Having Children


The next part on querying is coming...I promise. I’ve been busy in the trenches querying and trying to write the next story in the series that I’m proposing.

In the meantime, here’s something I hope brings a smile to your face (and please don’t take it literally, this is meant to be fun).

Writing is similar to having children in several ways.

1. Your latest work in progress can keep you up at night or wake you at weird hours.
I don’t miss the days of babies waking me at all hours. Now I stay up late because I’m on a roll writing or I get thinking of an idea/character/plot and can’t sleep.

2. We lose touch with friends or only see them occasionally.
Parenting takes a lot of time and energy and sometimes we don’t have time or energy left to hang out with friends. Writing is much the same. Many of us write in our spare time, which can come at the expense of friend time. When a writer becomes engrossed in a work in progress, many other things can fall to the side for a while.

3. You forget to eat or do housework.
This relates to above. For writers, when you're on a roll, you think, I’ll eat when I finish this part. Well, three hours later you realize that you still haven’t eaten. I often head to bed after writing and think about the laundry I forgot to put on.

4. When it’s new, we want to spend all our time with it.
That sweet newborn is just so cuddly, you want to snuggle it a lot. When you’re in the initial stages of writing a story, that’s all you want to do.

5. Some days it’s really hard and all you want to do is lock yourself in the bathroom.
There are times where I wonder if I suck as a parent, there’s days I wonder if I suck at writing. Those are the days I want to climb into bed, pull the covers over my head, and hide from the world while drinking a bottle of wine.

6. It’s an emotional roller coaster.
There are so many ups and downs in parenting. You’re proud of your children, you fear for them, they drive you insane, you love them so much it makes you crazy. Oddly enough, writers go through a lot of ups and downs too. You love your manuscript, you hate it, you think it rocks, you’d love to burn it. There are times when you love and hate it at the same time. Then there’s the emotional journey of putting your work out there, trying to get an agent/publisher, etc.

7. Unless your friends are also writers or parents, they often don’t understand.
When I had my first child, I wanted to call all my friends who had children before me and my mother to apologize. I thought I was understanding of my friends with children. There’s no way you can know until you have your own. Writing is the same. The hours, months or years we spend pouring over a work, analyzing every detail, the pain in rejection letters, if you haven’t experienced it, you can’t completely understand.

Are there any similarities I missed?

No comments:

Post a Comment