Monday, April 20, 2015

Fate Of The Gods - A Reivew

I had the luck of discovering a wonderful new author recently. One evening I saw a tweet by the publishing company, Red Moon Romance, about a new book by Amalia Dillin called Beyond Fate. It had the Norse god Thor and sounded very interesting. I was hooked at the mention of gods and mythology. I replied to the tweet saying I would add it to my to read list the the author responded with a thank you. It was the fact that she responded that made me more intent to read the book.

Beyond Fate turned out to be book three in the series, which wasn't a problem because I love series. I looked up the first book, Forged by Fate and read about it. When I saw it was about the Adam and Eve myth, I was a little hesitant because I'm not a religious person. I also prefer physical books to
ebooks (as noted in a previous blog) and though I  could order the book through Amazon (not
Chapters in Canada though), it would take a couple of weeks to get, which I understand because it's put out by a smaller publishing company, World Weaver Press.

I debated it for a while then decided to go for it. I purchased Forged by Fate as an ebook. I wasn't disappointed.

The series follows Eve and Adam from creation to present and into the foreseeable future. Though they are not immortal, they are reincarnated with their memories - except Adam spends thousands of years cursed by not being able to remember his previous incarnations.

When Adam was created, he wasn't very nice (to put it mildly) so God used the last of his power to create Eve to love and nurture the world. Adam is convinced that Eve should be his, despite being warned that they cannot be together or their union would produce a god child who had the power to undo creation. Adam pursues Eve through their incarnations, even when he can't remember who he really is.

During one of her lives, Eve catches the attention of Thor. He falls in love with her and vows to protect her and her descendants. In one of Eve's lives, he is made mortal and marries her. He never revealed his true identity to her but she always remembered his love through all her other lives.

The trilogy follows all three characters who's fates are entangled until the final book where they must save the world.

Normally a second book is a 'bridge book', where it just furthers the larger plot along but nothing truly happens. Not the case here. Fate Forgotten, not only pushes the plot along but deepens the story and a lot takes place. By the end, I was dying to know how the larger story plays out.

My only sticking points with the third book, Beyond Fate, which I found hard to put down, was that Dillin waited until the end to explain Eve's exile. For the whole book I wanted to know about this exile that affected her so much and it was a little irritating that it wasn't explained. I also didn't like Marcus, Eve's friend. Something about him rubbed me the wrong way.

I enjoyed the new take on the Eve and Adam myth and how she included pantheons from other cultures, which was what truly drew me in. What kept me going was the depth of the characters and how they grow and change along with the story. I am a sucker for a good love story, which this provided as well.

Being a fan of historical fiction, I loved how Dillin incorporates history and world events into the novels. At times, Eve and Adam lived as historical personalities, were a parent of a historical person (Eve gave birth of Moses and Jesus), or sometimes they lived ordinary lives.

Though Dillin skips between time periods in the books, and shifts perspectives in all three, I was never lost and wondering what was going on. She uses the shifts to draw the reader along and reveal new information to unfold the larger story.

I often tweeted about my reading progress and Dillin would take time to retweet the comments or even reply. That she took time to engage with a reader made me a bigger fan. I'm looking forward to reading her other works.

I highly recommend the Fate of the Gods series to anyone who likes twists on mythology, a love story (though not necessarily a romance novel), and a wonderful magical story.


No comments:

Post a Comment