Monday, March 2, 2015

Music Makes My World Go Round

Music has always been an important part of my life. Certain songs can transport me back to moments in time or make me stop to dance or sing (not very well). So it's no surprise that music has played a role in my writing.

Listening to music not only blocks out the television my husband watches across the room while I write, it also helps put me in the right mind frame. Sometimes it can be hard to reach certain emotions or mind sets and, for me, music helps.

I was delighted when I saw Lilith Saintcrow had posted playlists for her Dante Valentine series, which I enjoyed. I've also seen many other people on Twitter discuss or mention their writing playlists.

For my first novel, Shadowed Soul, and the sequel, I listened to a lot of heavier music. Godsmack was great for the aggressive scenes, while Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson were perfect for the darker scenes. I even have a playlist titled 'Sad' for when I need to write depressing scenes like deaths or breakups.

It's interesting because I don't choose the music. While I'm writing, I put my tablet on random. During the process I notice what music pushes my creativity along, keeps me in the frame of mind I need for the work in progress, or generally connects with the tone.

Do you have a playlist for your writing? Do you use the same songs/artists/albums or do you tailor it to your current work?

No comments:

Post a Comment