Wednesday, February 4, 2015

A Little Bird Tweeted

I was reluctant to join Twitter. I have a Facebook account that I limit to people I know and want to keep in touch with. I have two blogs, this one, and a parenting one that I’m taking time off from.
So why do I need Twitter?
That’s where literary agents are posting. I joined to follow them so I could pick up tips and see what they are talking about and looking for. Anything to give me an edge while querying. Like I’ve said before, sometimes it feels a little like stalking. But no fear, I know the line.
I also joined to participate in pitch parties (#pitchwars, #adpit, #PitMad etc.). These are opportunities to pitch your manuscript once an hour and literary agents scan the pitches if they have time. If an agent favourites your pitch, they want to see at least a query, sometimes some pages.
That was all pretty cool.
Then I learned how to use Twitter.
When I started, it was a mystery to me. I had no idea how to use hashtags and was creeped out when random people followed me. It took a little getting used to but now it’s fun. I actually post better things on Twitter than I do on Facebook. It’s amazing the random things you will share with strangers that you would rather not have your grandma reading.
I’ve also made a few ‘friends’ on Twitter and met a person to swap writing with for feedback. I have found it supportive to read some of the other tweets from people writing and posting under the various hashtags. It’s nice to know you aren’t the only one pulling your hair out during revisions or struggling to write something.
As a bonus, I’ve won some books! Harper Collins did a give away of a set of classic horror books at Halloween, which I was lucky enough to nab (I’m crazy excited about them still and they look awesome!). I also won a book ‘The Siege Winter’ by Samantha Norman, which looks like a really good read.
Twitter has been a fun adventure and I’m glad I took the plunge.

No comments:

Post a Comment