Wednesday, December 17, 2014

I Hereby Banish You, Inner Critic

Okay, maybe not entirely because an inner critic can be a little useful in moderation.
I find that writing advice/information that I didn’t realize I needed, pops up at the right time. I’ve seen lots of mentions and advice about inner critics the last couple of months, which is perfect timing. Mine has been nattering.
My last blog on New Story Jitters is an example of the inner critic preventing me from starting a new project. Now that the novel is underway, I fret that I’m missing elements, that my characters aren’t right, that my plot and sub-plots aren’t unfolding or meshing together or any other things that could prevent me from finishing.
Be still, Inner Critic!
When the nattering starts, I remind myself that this is only the first draft. It doesn’t need to be perfect. That’s why we revise...and revise...and revise...oh wait, need to revise some more. For me, the point of the first draft is to get the story out, then go back to flesh out the characters and story, rewrite, tear chunks out, maybe cry a bit from frustration, and keep remoulding until it’s a masterpiece – at least until I read it again and start the process over.
If your inner critic is rearing its ugly head, don’t worry, you’re not alone. The most important thing to do is give it the finger and forge on, reminding yourself that rewriting is always an option once you have the story down.

No comments:

Post a Comment