Tuesday, October 21, 2014

What If...?

My attitude towards my writing and journey to publication swings to extremes a times. One day I'm ready to take it on, other days I wonder if I know what I'm doing. Many things can trigger this, the weather (it's been raining here for a week, which has been quite draining), a peice of information I come across that sheds light on my journey to being a better writer and getting published or my own inner critic.

Today seems to be one of the down days, like I mentioned earlier, this cold rainy weather is getting depressing.

Today I wonder, what if I don't sell this this book? It is a possibility in the post-Twilight daze (though my novel is adult and nothing like that series) where publishers and agents don't seem too interested in anything with vampires.

If I follow that dark road, it's easy to think of all the time "wasted" through writing, revisions, researching agents, etc.

Then I give my head a shake.

I didn't sit down and say, "I want to have a book published." When the idea first came to me, I said, "Hey, that would be a great story to write."

And that's what I did. I started writing.

I write because I have always loved to write and create. Ever since I was little I have wanted to be a writer. I didn't start my first blog to have a career as a blogger, I started it because I love to write and thought other people could benefit from reading about my parenting (mis)adventures.

I wrote a book because that's what I wanted to do. Then when I finished, I realized that I had something I wanted to share, something that people would probably want to read.

Was the time wasted? No. I loved becoming lost in the story and characters as I wrote. So much so that I'm working on a sequel. Actually, the characters wouldn't quit whispering to me so I didn't think I had much of a choice in carrying on their story. It looks like the whole series will be four books.

What if I don't sell the first manuscript?

I'm confident that there is an agent out there who will champion my story, and if I'm wrong, then when I start the other story idea I have, maybe that one will sell. Two things I have going for me: I'm extremely stubborn and not afraid of a challenge.

In the meantime, I will continue to write and query every agent in North America that accepts fantasy, paranormal, urban fantasy and possibly even suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment